Mechanical engineering practice principles of engineering and physics to design, analyze and manufacture machinery or mechanical systems. This field also focuses on maintenance of the mechanical systems and it is amongst the oldest and widest of all engineering fields. In essence, therefore, mechanical engineers design, test, build and maintain all kinds of machines in different settings. The discipline is flexible and diverse and it covers all production and development areas.
They are masters of forces, motion, energy, gases, liquids and solids. They are also the experts that help with power generation, vibration and noise, land transport vehicles, design and simulation, computational engineering, flow analysis and measurements. The experts are valuable in different industries including automotive industry, building services, power generation sector, structural designs and transport. But what really makes mechanical engineering popular amongst other engineering fields?
1. It is an evergreen field. Considering how application of this discipline is spread over a wide spectrum, it has virtually penetrated almost every given industry out there. This means that it is a practice that has been evolving and keeps evolving, hence will always be an evergreen field with endless opportunities for those who specialize in it.
2. It is the mother of all other engineering disciplines. It basically links all other disciplines that are related to engineering thus providing a base for engineering education fields. When thinking engineering, mechanical is what comes into mind before anything else and this kind of makes it very popular over the other fields of engineering.
3. It is a vast industry. The truth is that every industry requires mechanical engineers in the business to run smoothly. The versatility of the field makes it one of the most promising in terms of careers. They remain in demand and hence graduates easily find career placements because they are relevant in almost all sectors from construction to automobile, software to the steel industry.
4. Mechanical engineering technology is one of the best paying job markets. After graduation they get very good job offers. Considering that this is one highest paying jobs across the globe, it not only offers the best lifestyle, but also raises social status for the engineers.
5. It makes the world a better place. Mechanical engineers improve the world through innovations. They are the people that bring changes that are not worthwhile for individuals, but for whole industries and sectors. It therefore stands out among other engineering fields and commands a lot of respect from the masses. With mechanical engineering, there is always hope that things will only get better.
6. It is an interesting field. Those getting into mechanical engineering for the passion of it have a very interesting learning experience. It generally is the study of the interesting phenomena of engineering and science with a basic focus on different interesting subjects like machine design, fluid sciences, thermal engineering, production and industrial engineering. Mechanical engineering is most interesting among all engineering fields and equips engineers with vast knowledge in different areas.